[78-L] A doubt about EQ curves

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sat Oct 15 04:22:17 PDT 2011

Doug Pomeroy wrote:

 > Don't be afraid to use your ears!

--
Many of us who work with audio restauration or audio distribution in one
way or another are close to or above the age level when progressive
hearing loss sets in. 30 to 35 percent of adults between the ages of 65
and 75 have some hearing loss, usually affecting higher frequencies.
Logically we should be less susceptible to surface noise than colleagues
and listeners 30-40 years younger - and be tempted to set the low-pass
filter higher than a 30 year old.
As long as our audience is our age there's no problem: the listeners
hear what we hear and are happy with that. But what about younger
audiences? And our younger colleagues? Could it be that the age factor
is involved in some of those "insensitive" transfers that we complain
about every now and then? And what about our own changes in hearing? Has
anyone of you thought of "compensating" for the increasing difficulty to
hear higher frequencies when doing restauration work?
I'm curious to know.
Kristjan