[78-L] Karajan - Brahms

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Oct 13 20:24:44 PDT 2011

You must have an English Stereo Treasury pressing. The Canadian and American
ones I've had are horrible..the Canadians are cut at too low a level and the
American ones are like those cheesy New Jersey lps from the 70s, complete with
warps and ripped labels.

dl

Yes, mine is an English pressing.  I don't know that I've ever seen an American London pressing.  In the '70s I used to go down to "The Record Runner" in Buffalo to buy whatever London recordings I wanted because here they were often Canadian pressings but in the States, they seemed to always be English pressings.

That store always had the best scenario for a browser.  There classical section wasn't arranged by composer as is usual, but by label;  so all of the London records were together arranged by record number.  If you wanted a specific record, they had the large catalog, (I forget what it was called but the one with the blue loose-leaf pages), so you just looked up the number of what you wanted and found it that way.  But, as you can imagine, browsing through these label sections I found all sorts of stuff which I wasn't looking for but just stumbled on.  I would buy a lot more CDs if they would display them this way, (so it's probably just as well that they don't).  When I used to go to the "Harmony House" in Detroit, I would focus in on labels which never came to Canada, like Westminster, Capitol, Vanguard Classics and MCA Classics.  But to find them, I had to go through the dealers' catalogs or open one of the CDs to find out what other CDs were
 advertised in the back of the booklets - a pretty tedious process and I still missed some.

db