[78-L] Karajan - Brahms

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 13 15:23:28 PDT 2011

On 10/13/2011 6:18 PM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> Christopher Steward wrote:
>
> According to John Hunt's Karajan discography there is only one VPO recording of Brahms 1, with both Decca and RCA issues, made in March 1959.
> ?
> Chris

> Thanks Chris and dl for your help with this;  as usual, the Stereo Treasury recording is much cleaner than the snap - crackle RCA pressing.
>
> Dave:  I was aware that 1960 did not refer to the Stereo Treasury release, just like such a date on a CD does not refer to when the CD was released;  but the date was a clue that they were likely the same recording.
>
> db

Speaking of HVK, this afternoon I got in the car and WNED-FM was part way into
Holst's "Planets". "Sounds like the Karajan/Vienna Philharmonic recording,"
thought I to myself, and that's what it was..still my favourite performance of it.

You must have an English Stereo Treasury pressing. The Canadian and American
ones I've had are horrible..the Canadians are cut at too low a level and the
American ones are like those cheesy New Jersey lps from the 70s, complete with
warps and ripped labels.