[78-L] "Prohibition" DVD

Peter Schow p.schow at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 08:23:56 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 07:51:44AM -0700, Cary Ginell wrote:

> There's plenty to attack Burns on - none intended towards you, Jeff!
>
> Early this year, my son showed me the program iMovie, which he taught me
> how to use so I could put together a photo montage for his Eagle Court
> ceremony. On the effects toolbar, they have something that enables you
> to randomly pan or zoom in on a still photograph. It is called
> the "Ken Burns Effect." Can you believe this? He probably got a royalty
> for licensing something in his name that has been in existence since
> documentaries were first produced. I call that arrogant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

I would not be in a rush to criticize KB over this.  Sounds like it
was Apple who came up with the idea and from the article above, KB
acknowledges his influences.  Remember that his "Civil War" documentary
in 1990 was immensely popular and made the cover of Newsweek despite only
showing photographs and talking heads.  Many thought such a format
would not succeed in the modern age.  And yes, he pretty much stuck
with the same format 21 years later with "Prohibition".

No idea about royalties but I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Jobs
made a donation to KB's foundation.