[78-L] National Barn Dance documentary on PBS

Elizabeth McLeod lizmcl at midcoast.com
Thu Oct 6 06:50:57 PDT 2011

on 10/6/11 2:20 AM Michael Biel wrote:

>I understand that there are some recordings of the program from the late
>30s with Henry Burr and Billy Murray.

There are only three surviving National Barn Dance programs from the '30s
that I know of -- one from November 1937, one from December 1938 (a
Christmas show with no live audience) and one from February 1939. Henry
Burr is present on the first two programs, but I don't believe he appears
on the third. Billy Murray began appearing on the program in the early
forties, and I believe there are at least a couple of his appearances
extant circa 1942.

Judging from these few surviving programs, the Barn Dance is one of the
most entertaining variety programs of this era, and had a much more
varied approach than the hayseed stereotypes would lead one to expect.
One of the most popular guest stars of this period was Alec Templeton --
about as far from a hillbilly entertainer as it's possible to get, but
the audiences loved him.

Elizabeth