[78-L] more teejus questions from a beginner

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 23:46:00 PDT 2011

On 03/10/11 06:24, Michael Biel wrote:

> Some might include the Grey Gull labels, but there are sometimes great
> records on them.  My good friend, the late George Blacker, always said
> "Never overlook a Grey Gull B side".  To cut costs there would be a
> known song on the A side and some unknown song with no royalties on the
> B side, sometimes recorded very hot even if the A side was not hot.
>
> You need to make your own choices and not be led away from something you
> might like by what someone else says.  Just keep listening to things and
> buy what YOU like, the devil with what others say.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

There's one area of collecting that needs tidying up. We have jazz
discographies which include "hot dance band" recordings and we have
dance band discographies, which include the hot performances but don't
specify them. We can't be sure if the jazz discos have included all "hot
dance band" recordings, in other words whether have they auditioned
every dance band recording. Of course they haven't. We're always turning
up dance band recordings with "hot" content which aren't listed in the
standard discographies.

So a collector of "hot dance bands" can't be sure which recordings to
obtain. What is needed is a listing of dance band recordings which have
been auditioned and definitely found to have no "hot" content. What you
might call an "anti-discography"!

      Julian Vein