[78-L] Acoustic recording of modenn music questions

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 10:50:15 PDT 2011

Wasn't the acid resistant fatty substance Berliner used with his zinc
recordings somewhat softer than the wax?  If so, I'd think that would
partially explain the somewhat more dynamic sonic signature of the early
Berliner records, and also the more pronounced peakiness and 'blasting' when
certain sounds hit various resonant frequencies, as the softer medium didn't
have as much damping effect on the recording stylus as wax would have.

And with lacquer being an even harder material, I'd think that would also
cause an acoustic recording to be even more feeble as it would be more
resistant to the stylus than wax (although using a heated stylus would
lessen the effect somewhat).