[78-L] Roots of Rock n Roll

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 05:28:58 PDT 2011

On 02/10/11 12:32, Milan P Milovanovic wrote:
> May I add "Sweethearts on Parade" by Lionel Hampton, with Chu Berry on tenor
> and wonderful Cozy Cole at the drums:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUueOfaKA3U

There's a version of "Easy Does It" by Tommy Dorsey, issued on Jazz
Archives (CD) 90.104-2, which is mostly played with backbeats by Buddy
Rich, and features a long tenor sax solo in r&b style by, presumably,
Don Lodice (it's not Tony Zimmers as given in the personnel or Babe
Russin). I can't find this particular version in Lord 10.0.

This could well be the longest tenor sax solo recorded upto then, with
the exception of special features for the instrument (e.g. Chu Berry
with Calloway, Hawkins with Jack Hylton).

       Julian Vein