[78-L] Mutter 1, Gershwin 0

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 09:44:32 PDT 2011

I applaud the astute comments of the few here who did not appoint themselves
music critics without portfolio and were able to consider what the true
problems may have been with this unfortunate outing. As I watched the
playback on my DVR I couldn't believe what I was hearing and didn't even try
to come up with an explanation other than something went seriously amiss or
I was still asleep.  One thing is certain, however and beyond argument as
far as I and a great many musicians are concerned, Mutter and Previn are
both world class musicians and classical violin playing doesn't get a hell
of a lot better that with ASM.

As a veteran of many bandstands, stages and studios I am well aware of the
multitude of things that can go wrong before even mentioning lousy or
non-existent acoustics. For a show that seems dedicated to endlessly
featuring the worst of today's cretins and their noise making hostilities
which all too many consider music it's an insult to place the class acts at
the end of the show where time may have run short and many viewers are
already out of it. I can well imagine a stage manager saying, "Sorry, Annie
& Andre, we're running over, you'll have to speed it up"...on a set where
they probably can't hear one another. Better that the cretins and their crap
be at the end of the show to wake up the dead, sleeping and tone-deaf.
Jack Daney