[78-L] Mutter 1, Gershwin 0

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sun Oct 2 08:36:23 PDT 2011

Anne-Sophie is
a very nice and unpretentious person and I was really sorry that it went this way for both of them.

Uncle Dave Lewis

ASM's reputation has suffered to some extent because of her association with Karajan.  I met her several years ago and found her a very warm person.  She told me at that time that she hadn't even heard of Karajan's reputed Nazi associations until after he was dead, I also hadn't heard these stories until after his death.

Many conductors have been accused, accurately or otherwise, of Nazi sympathies: Mengelberg, R. Strauss, Furtwangler, Bohm, Blech, Weingartner, Beecham, etc.  R. Strauss reputedly toed the line to protect his Jewish Granddaughter, Mengelberg has claimed to be apolitical, I've heard stories about steps Furtwangler took to protect Jewish musicians in his orchestras.  Which of these reputations and stories are true?  I don't know;  I've seen both the accusations and the defences and I have no way of verifying either side.

I know Mutter's had a difficult personal life but as far as her playing is concerned, I have heard very fine concert performances and some stellar recordings.

db