[78-L] Back Beat Boogie

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Fri Sep 30 11:20:37 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

agp wrote:

> I have some questions about Back Beat Boogie by Harry James. I heard
> it on one of the shows saved in the 'NBC Complete Broadcast Day -- D
> Day' archival files and was impressed with the direct link in style
> to what would become rock'n'roll.
>
> I managed to dig up a 78 of it and have questions. Is Columbia 35356
> (mx.LA 2054) the first issue of the Harry James recording. One reason
> I ask is the fact that the label says 'A Jazz Masterwork'. I haven't
> seen that designation on anything before, so is my pressing a re-
> issue?
>
> Any background on the recording would be nice

Columbia 35356 is indeed the first issue of "Back Beat Boogie." All
copies are denoted "Jazz Masterwork" -- Columbia's response to
Victor's "Swing Classic" issues. If your copy has the words "Trade
Mark" below the CBS microphone/Magic Notes trademark, it's an early
pressing (at least no later than Summer 1941). Recorded in Los
Angeles, 30 November 1939. It is James' final side before leaving
Columbia for Varsity in 1940 (and returning to Columbia in early 1941).

(Anyone know the location of that Los Angeles studio, used by ARC and
Columbia from 1933-1940? Was more than one studio used?)

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"
--
"The ideal of calm exists in a sitting cat."--Jules Reynard