[78-L] It's One-Hit Wonder Day! (must be some 78s that qualify)

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Tue Sep 27 21:58:01 PDT 2011

A few addenda for the article: Gloria Swanson"s "Love, Your Magic Spell is Everywhere" is from her first talkie, THE TRESPASSER (1929), in which she sings it accompanied by an Ampico reproducing piano. She evidently took singing lessons in preparation for the film, and the fact that she sang pretty competently made the film and the song a hit, precipitating her entry into the recording studio.  (Incidentally, the song was composed by the film's director, Edmund Goulding.) LADY OF THE PAVEMENTS is a sound film, but no dialogue, hence not a "talkie"; it has a music-and-effects track on disc with Velez's two songs as the only vocal portions. (It was also notoriously difficult sonically on its initial release; it was D. W. Griffith's and UA's first sound film, and the discs were so erratically recorded that Griffith travelled cross-country to Camden after the West Coast premiere to see if Victor could improve the sound quality and make new pressings.)  May Irwin's other discs sold well (and her "Moses Andrew Jackson, Good Bye" was a substantial hit and covered by other artists, including Arthur Collins), but the "Frog Song" was reissued on a later (17000 series) double-side issue and thus turns up more frequently.