[78-L] Some nice finds

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Sep 27 17:23:50 PDT 2011

While going through our neighborhood used record store (the only one we have) for the umpteenth time, I noticed some hidden away 78s that I had never noticed before. Among the usual Buddy Clark Columbias and Tommy Dorsey Victors I found a small vein of post-war traditional jazz and another of '50s rock 'n' roll. Came away with "My Baby Left Me" by Elvis on RCA in E+ condition for 3 bucks (OK, "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" was V to V+ with peak distortion, but who listens to that side anyway?), 3 E copies of Bill Haley Deccas (also $3 each), a Tommy Steele UK Decca ($2) 3 Jump 78s that I didn't have for a buck apiece, and the Decca "New Orleans Jazz" album featuring Bunk Johnson & Kid Ory (4 discs for $5 - all in new condition). Two of the Jumps were by Rushton's California Ramblers. Joe Rushton is an anomaly: a post-war bass sax player; hearing that instrument in post-war fidelity is wonderful.

My question regards the Decca set (A-549). Did this come with a descriptive booklet? If anyone has a copy, I would appreciate a PDF.

Cary Ginell