[78-L] European Sound Recording Copyright Extension

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 13 12:47:15 PDT 2011

On 9/13/2011 1:12 PM, Julian Vein wrote:
> On 13/09/11 17:54, Alan Bunting wrote:
>> The law (when eventually implemented) will NOT be retrospective so Mr. Lennick and I can continue to supplement our meagre incomes with a few more transfers and restorations.
>>
>> Alan Bunting
>>
> ==================================
> What's to stop anyone from issuing stuff after the deadline and putting
> a false (earlier) publication date on the product?
>
>        Julian Vein

Not necessary. What it means is that we won't suddenly go back to a cutoff date
of 1941 (or '42 or '43) and will continue to be able to transfer recordings
issued through 1961 and possibly '62 or '63..the 70 year rule will begin to
apply once the extension is ratified by all EU countries, but only to
recordings about to hit the 50 mark at that time (or at the end of the previous
year or whatever the provision is).

Canada's copyright is still 50 years. I'm sure someone will want to crawl into
bed with the Americans and extend it forever, but right now this country is too
busy planning for the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 as well as putting
"Royal" back into military institutions, putting Her Majesty's portrait back
into every government building, and in general turning the clock back a century
(Canadians were fed up with the monarchy back in 1959, but you could get your
head handed to you for daring to say so publicly as broadcaster Joyce Davidson
found out).