[78-L] European Sound Recording Copyright Extension

Alan Bunting alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 09:54:27 PDT 2011

The law (when eventually implemented) will NOT be retrospective so Mr. Lennick and I can continue to supplement our meagre incomes with a few more transfers and restorations.

Alan Bunting

Here's the offical answer from the UK Intellectual Property Office:
for sound recordings and performers' rights (i.e. the 70 year period)
applies to fixation of performances and phonograms which are still
protected by the term directive on the date the amending directive must be
transposed and any such fixations created subsequently.
So the directive extends copyright/performers' rights protections for
works where the rights are still in force on the transposition date in the
directive but it does not revive copyright.

Copyright Enquiries
Intellectual Property Office.

From: Alan Bunting <alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com>