[78-L] Hot input levels

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Sep 10 20:36:11 PDT 2011

On 9/9/2011 6:48 PM, bradc944 at comcast.net wrote:
> Having a
>   bit of difficulty here... trying to do some 'newer' 78s to show how
> good a 78 can sound, and the levels coming off the line-out on the
> receiver are EXTREMELY HOT. Should I be looking at a pair of 3 to 6 dB
> pads to throw in line? Any ideas/suggestions?    BC

You are probably putting that line level signal into a microphone level
input, and you need a 40 dB pad, not just 3 or 6!  Usually just bringing
the VU levels down is not enough because you are overloading the mic
pre-amps and generally any electronic padding is after the pre-amps.
The pre-amp output is probably around -20 and the mic pre-amp is
expecting about -60.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com