[78-L] V Discs, Matrix Number, Identify source, and EQ?

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Fri Sep 9 10:42:08 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Dave Rose wrote:

> I recently acquired a sizeable collection of V Discs.

Congratulations!

> I'm hoping that someone with experience can provide a little
> guidance.  I'm assuming EQ of 500/12 (RCA Victor) and 300/16
> (Columbia) would be about right for playback?

I'd recommend bass turnover of 400 Hz and NO treble cut. You'll be
surprised at how those things will "open up," especially the Columbia
stuff. Nearly everything is dubbed. If you can do a spectrum analysis
in software, you can see the *exact* characteristic. (Can you play
AAC files? I can send you an example off-list.)

> Is there any way to discern origin (RCA Victor versus Columbia or
> other labels) by looking at the Matrix numbers in the deadwax?
> There's about 170 discs in total, so I'd really like to
> predetermine EQ rather than listening to each disc and
> experimenting with settings on my phono preamp.

That approach goes only so far, as EQ can vary somewhat even within a
session. Victor matrices are easy, as Royal Pemberton pointed out.
Most, if not all, V-Discs have a "VP" number; if it is followed by
something resembling D5-TC-xxxx-x, that is a Victor matrix. A
Columbia matrix will also be easily identified, in the form XP 3xxxx
(at 6:00 in the wax, with the take digit at 12:00), just as on
Columbia commercial issues, and the pressing will most likely be
laminated shellac as well. There is another series of numbers which
escapes me here at work; I don't know the source of those. Decca,
Capitol and others' recordings were issued on V-Disc, but these will
mostly be dubbed by Victor and bear Victor matrices.

Take care,

Joe
--
"A well treated cat is as demonstrative in affection as a dog, and
has more self-respect, for it will not give fondness to one who