[78-L] HMV 216000 series questions

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 08:54:07 PDT 2011

587 and 590 are, but I didn't find the other two (at least by using the "basic search"
functions for name and issue number):
http://amicus.collectionscanada.gc.ca/gramophone-bin/Main/BasicSearch?coll=24&l=0&v=1

Do we have any idea when the Northland Songs were issued? I would presume no later
than 1938, as both sides of 592 were recorded on 25 May of that year. Most of the
Virtual Gramophone entries for 561 through 591 give only "between 1931 and 1939" for
the release date.

For the label enthusiasts: 460 was the highest I found that had only "His Master's Voice"
and the Berliner Gram-o-phone notation. Everything from 462 upwards seems to have
both Victor and HMV at the top of the label as well as "Victor Talking Machine Co. of
Canada". (Later pressings of earlier issues also have those phrases.) 500 is the first I
saw with the oval VE on the label.

-HA