[78-L] Bing question

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 21:02:56 PDT 2011

Fair enough, Dr. Biel. Next time I will be clearer the first time.

This film appears on one of the tvdays.com commercial compilations (this is
Ira Gallen's company). I did allude to the fact that this is not a standard
commercial. It is a five minute industrial film that was made for owners of
gas companies, the type shown at a convention for dealers. He does not
mention any one gas company by name. Bing describes an upcoming Christmas
campaign to publicize why gas is a better fuel for the home. He talks about
ad tie-ins for newspapers, magazines and TV commercials in which he will
appear hawking the product. Apparently a run of the Decca Christmas album he
made is also a tie-in, as he discusses the LP and holds the cover at one
point.

The question I had revolves around what appears to be a 7 inch 78 that he
says will be available. Part of the record is played, and can be seen on
camera on a record player. The song is "Swinging on a Star" with special
lyrics about gas. My guess is that Sammy Cahn probably wrote them, as he was
James Van Heusen's collaborator at the time of the film, and Van Heusen
wrote the music to the song. I'm almost sure that Bing describes the record
as a premium of some type. My question was, "What year was this record
made?" (which would answer my second question, namely the year of the film).
I imagine that this special version of "Swinging on a Star" would show up on
some Crosby discography, or perhaps we have a Crosby collector who has it.

That should do it.

Jeff Sultanof