[78-L] Valentino

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Tue Sep 6 13:28:15 PDT 2011

David Lennick wrote:
> Does anyone know if the Rudolph Valentino record Brunswick put out in
> 1930 had a special sleeve? Or just a picture label (two versions, one
> on a later dubbed issue).
I have no idea whether there was a special sleeve, but the recordings
have a complex and fascinating history.  The two sides were recorded in
1923 with matrix numbers 10646 and 10647 but were not issued at the
time.  When Valentino died in 1926, it seems that Brunswick thought the
time might be right for an issue:  I have a test pressing from that year
with the Brunswick issue number 3299 in the wax.  But again they decided
against it.

So it was not until 1930 that the records were dubbed from the original
acoustical masters and issued, with electrically recorded opening
announcements and a picture label with Valentino wearing a gaucho hat.
The new matrix numbers were 33579  and 33580.

And then, for whatever reason, they were  apparently issued once more in
1935, this time in a laminated pressing and with Valentino wearing a
turban.  I don't have a copy of the 1935 issue but assume it was from
the same masters as the 1930 issue.

-- Jack Raymond