[78-L] Pianist questions

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Sep 4 18:36:57 PDT 2011

Two recent additions to the ol' collection have a little mystery as far as
who is playing piano.

Okeh 41451 Joe Venuti and his New Yorkers    "I Am Only Human After All" b/w
"Out of Breath."   Two great sides...Rust lists unknown piano but both the
piano solo on "Human" and the arrangement sound like Lennie Hayton to me.
I'd be interested what the ears of others tell them.

Apollo 1088   Dean Martin with Jerry Jerome's All Stars.  "Oh Marie" b/w
"Walkin' My Baby Back Home."  Nice accomp. band.  Label credits Johnny Mince
on clarinet,  Cozy Cole,  Cedric Wallace...those are all real  guys but then
it lists "Cliff White" on guitar and "Jimmy Rivers" on piano...both of those
sound like pseudonyms to me.

I wonder if the piano is Rowles?   I don't have a discography which covers
this,  so any info about recording date or personnel would be appreciated.
For all I know it may be Dino's first record...

Thanks from

Taylor