[78-L] Kvetch, was Re: oooWEE policy change regarding feedback ^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 2 08:15:26 PDT 2011

What is a kvetch, you ask?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kvetch

kvetch  (kvch) Slang
intr.v. kvetched, kvetch·ing, kvetch·es
To complain persistently and whiningly.
n.
1. A chronic, whining complainer.
2. A nagging complaint: "a rambling kvetch against the system" (Leonard Ross).
[Yiddish kvetshn, to squeeze, complain, from Middle High German quetzen,
quetschen, to squeeze.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by
Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
kvetch [kvɛtʃ]
vb
(intr) Slang chiefly US to complain or grumble, esp incessantly
[from Yiddish kvetshn, literally: to squeeze, press]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers
1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
kvetch - To complain chronically or habitually, from Yiddish kvetshn, "pinch,
squeeze; complain."
See also related terms for squeeze.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2011 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusLegend:  Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun	1.	kvetch - (Yiddish) a constant complainer
Yiddish - a dialect of High German including some Hebrew and other words;
spoken in Europe as a vernacular by many Jews; written in the Hebrew script
grumbler, moaner, sniveller, squawker, whiner, bellyacher, complainer, crybaby
- a person given to excessive complaints and crying and whining
	2.	kvetch - (Yiddish) a nagging complaint
Yiddish - a dialect of High German including some Hebrew and other words;
spoken in Europe as a vernacular by many Jews; written in the Hebrew script
complaint - an expression of grievance or resentment
Verb	1.	kvetch - express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness;
"My mother complains all day"; "She has a lot to kick about"
complain, plain, quetch, sound off, kick
hen-peck, nag, peck - bother persistently with trivial complaints; "She nags
her husband all day long"
backbite, bitch - say mean things
grizzle, yammer, yawp, whine - complain whiningly
gnarl, grumble, murmur, mutter, croak - make complaining remarks or noises
under one's breath; "she grumbles when she feels overworked"
grouch, grumble, scold - show one's unhappiness or critical attitude; "He
scolded about anything that he thought was wrong"; "We grumbled about the
increased work load"
protest - utter words of protest
repine - express discontent
beef, bellyache, bitch, gripe, grouse, squawk, holler, crab - complain; "What
was he hollering about?"
inveigh, rail - complain bitterly
bemoan, bewail, deplore, lament - regret strongly; "I deplore this hostile
action"; "we lamented the loss of benefits"
report - complain about; make a charge against; "I reported her to the supervisor"
bleat - talk whiningly
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton
University, Farlex Inc.