[78-L] orphan disc registry

Rod Brown raudiobrown at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 00:23:23 PDT 2011

I really like the idea Mark mentioned of an orphan disc registry. Similar
resources have been established for things like stemware, cutlery, china
dishes, etc, so why not 78s? Looks to me like there is the real potential
for some long-delayed gratification.

Another angle:
I know I'm not the only one who comes across custom-made 78 RPM records that
appear to be old love letters sent home from the war, children's music
recitals, etc. Whenever I find these at garage sales, estate sales, etc, I
point them out to any family members I can find. More than once, the family
has been grateful--they didn't know or remember that such home-made records
existed, and in any case, didn't realize they'd put unique, irreplaceable
records out for sale along with the Bing Crosbys.

It'd be nice if there were a place to post news of such finds--maybe on the
larger genealogy sites. It would get off to a slow start, but eventually
word might get around among genealogically inclined families that they would
be wise to do a quick search for any found audio. A post might say, for
example: "Found in August 2011 at the Oakland, CA Goodwill store, a custom
made phonograph record featuring the voice of Mrs. Alphonse Dafthoover. The
label says, 'For my loving husband, Alphie. Christmas eve, 1952.' Family
members who have an interest in this record may contact The Orphan Disc
Directory, etc, etc."

In any case, an orphan disc registry could be highly useful to 78-L
subscribers. For me, it would feel like an accomplishment to get a few
partial album sets completed, and to find a 'welcome home' for some of my
duplicates.

Best,
Rod