[78-L] Unissued western swing on Bear Family

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 25 10:42:57 PDT 2011

Your answer intrigues me.  Was Wills the only one to use this device?  What
was the reason?  Certainly after the war the "NEW" wasn't used when lyrics
were added.  For example when lyrics were added to EBB TIDE, it wasn't
called NEW EBB TIDE.  I'm trying to think of an example from the pre-war
era, but I can't come up with one.  But I'm sure there must be some cases.
Not only that, but when others recorded NEW SAN ANTONIO ROSE, like Bing
Crosby, Ray Price and Patsy Cline, they dropped the "NEW".
RayK

From: Cary Ginell
Easy. The "new" prefix simply means that lyrics were added to an earlier
recorded instrumental. "San Antonio Rose" (a variant of "Spanish Two-Step")
was recorded as an instrumental in 1938. Lyrics were added for the 1940
recording. The same goes for other Wills recordings, including "Spanish
Two-Step," "Maiden's Prayer," "Texas Playboy Rag," and the like.

What's interesting is that the sound of the Texas Playboys was totally
different by that time. The 1938 sessions featured the sounds of a string
band while the 1940 group was no different than any of the swing bands of
the period led by Dorsey, Goodman, Miller, et. al. No stringed instruments
can be heard on "New San Antonio Rose," except maybe a rhythm guitar in the
background, if you could hear it at all. The rest was horns. As popular as
this recording became, it alienated many of Wills' fans, who preferred to
hear Wills play fiddle and the sound of a string band. Wills took his
innovation a little too far for the time. Wills removed nearly all of the
horns, and never had more than one or two in any of his subsequent groups,
usually a reed instrument and a muted trumpet.