[78-L] Unissued western swing on Bear Family

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Aug 24 20:25:24 PDT 2011

Easy. The "new" prefix simply means that lyrics were added to an earlier recorded instrumental. "San Antonio Rose" (a variant of "Spanish Two-Step") was recorded as an instrumental in 1938. Lyrics were added for the 1940 recording. The same goes for other Wills recordings, including "Spanish Two-Step," "Maiden's Prayer," "Texas Playboy Rag," and the like.

What's interesting is that the sound of the Texas Playboys was totally different by that time. The 1938 sessions featured the sounds of a string band while the 1940 group was no different than any of the swing bands of the period led by Dorsey, Goodman, Miller, et. al. No stringed instruments can be heard on "New San Antonio Rose," except maybe a rhythm guitar in the background, if you could hear it at all. The rest was horns. As popular as this recording became, it alienated many of Wills' fans, who preferred to hear Wills play fiddle and the sound of a string band. Wills took his innovation a little too far for the time. Wills removed nearly all of the horns, and never had more than one or two in any of his subsequent groups, usually a reed instrument and a muted trumpet.

Cary Ginell