[78-L] The same song, different state?

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Aug 19 08:35:44 PDT 2011

Here's what I have for "state + rose" songs (not surprisingly, most are country or hillbilly):

Beautiful Washington Rose - Arkie Shibley (Gilt-Edge)
The Blue Rose of Texas - Holly Dunn (Warner Bros.)
California Rose - Roy Rogers (RCA Victor)
Georgia Rose - The Seldom Scene (Rebel)
Hawaiian Rose - The Three Jacks (Supertone), Kane's Hawaiians (Victor)
Iowa Rose - Eddie Dean (Sage)
My Brown-Eyed Texas Rose - Jimmie Davis (Decca) and many others
My Carolina Mountain Rose - Jimmy Long & Gene Autry (ARC)
My Little Georgia Rose - Bill Monroe (Decca)
My Oklahoma Rose - Wilf Carter (RCA Victor)
My Rose of Old Kentucky - Bill Monroe (Columbia)
My Tennessee Rose - Asher Sizemore & Little Jimmy (Decca)
My Virginia Rose Is Blooming - The Carter Family (Vocalion)
Rose of Alabama - Frank Luther & Zora Layman (Decca)
Rose of Oklahoma - Cowboy Copas (King)
Sweet Kentucky Rose - Red Foley (Decca)
Texas Rose - Al Dexter (Columbia)
Walkin' Georgia Rose - Pelican Wildcats (Columbia)
The Wild Rose of Tennessee - Jenks "Tex" Carman (Sage)
The Yellow Rose of Texas - Gene Autry and many others
You're the Sweetest Rose in Texas - Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys (Presto transcription)

As for songs with a state in the title - criminy, there must be thousands. A word search through my database for the word "Texas" alone got 798 hits. I would often do "state songs" when I had my radio program. I never had to repeat a song.

Cary Ginell