[78-L] Gene Autry Conqueror Album

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Aug 18 20:17:02 PDT 2011

Release dates for both Autry albums should be after July 1940 if records were released in numerical order, as I suggested in a previous mail (see below).

han enderman
===

>>> I have images of front covers of 2 different Autry Conqueror albums (and of no other Cq albums).
Text on unnumbered covers (4x78) is:
- Ballads of the West / Sung by Gene Autry.
- Gene Autry / Cowboy Songs [with his name in larger italics].

About the contents of these albums when on ebay I noted:
Ballads - no info. [= 8629, 8968, 9388-89 according to the discussion]
Cowboy Songs - Cq 8191, 8465, 9058, 9544.
Cowboy Songs - incl. 9544.

About the date:
9388-89 recd 12 Mar 1940; not released before ca. Sep 1940 (9372 Memphis Minnie recd 27 June).
9544 recd 20 Aug 1940; not released before ca. Dec 1940 (9531 Ginny Sims recd 16 Oct).
(he)
-----
> On 8/18/2011 7:05 PM, J. E. Knox wrote:
>
>    It's interesting to hear from other posts that the first two
> Conqueror numbers (8629, 8968) also appear in their copies. Checking
> the Abrams file for Conqueror, I see 9386/9 is a block of Gene Autry
> numbers, and would logically think those numbers would comprise the
> album. Apparently not...?

I was planning on posting about this earlier today but my computor froze
up.  I looked the records up in Russell and was surprised that the other
two recordings in the March 12, 1940 session for 9388 and 89 were
released on 9387,  and that two of the three recordings in his previous
session -- six months earlier on Sept 12, 1939 -- were released on
9390.  Considering that the other recording in that session was released
way back on 9305, there probably was a long gap of time from the point
the two for 9390 were released.  Was there planning for an album???  And
then they decided to only use two of the four discs and substitute two
earlier discs??? (By the way, I don't see 9386.  Is your block of four
correct?)   These were all the last ones that were issued on Vocalion
and moved over to OKeh.  All the later issues were only on OKeh, so
although there is practically no convergence with between Conqueror and
Vocalion/OKeh numbering, it might mean that these Conquerors came out
before June or July 1940.

Mike Biel
<<<