[78-L] Gene Autry Conqueror Album

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Aug 18 17:33:47 PDT 2011

On 8/18/2011 7:05 PM, J. E. Knox wrote:

>    It's interesting to hear from other posts that the first two
> Conqueror numbers (8629, 8968) also appear in their copies. Checking
> the Abrams file for Conqueror, I see 9386/9 is a block of Gene Autry
> numbers, and would logically think those numbers would comprise the
> album. Apparently not...?

I was planning on posting about this earlier today but my computor froze
up.  I looked the records up in Russell and was surprised that the other
two recordings in the March 12, 1940 session for 9388 and 89 were
released on 9387,  and that two of the three recordings in his previous
session -- six months earlier on Sept 12, 1939 -- were released on
9390.  Considering that the other recording in that session was released
way back on 9305, there probably was a long gap of time from the point
the two for 9390 were released.  Was there planning for an album???  And
then they decided to only use two of the four discs and substitute two
earlier discs??? (By the way, I don't see 9386.  Is your block of four
correct?)   These were all the last ones that were issued on Vocalion
and moved over to OKeh.  All the later issues were only on OKeh, so
although there is practically no convergence with between Conqueror and
Vocalion/OKeh numbering, it might mean that these Conquerors came out
before June or July 1940.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com