[78-L] Gene Autry Conqueror Album

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Thu Aug 18 16:05:04 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Michael Biel wrote:

> ...The title on the spine is "GENE AUTRY Ballads"  and on the cover
> "BALLADS OF THE WEST / SUNG BY//Gene Autry / CONQUEROR"  with his name
> in larger italics.  If the records are not pre-selected, are any
> and ALL
> the recordings of Autry on Conqueror "western ballads"??  It is not
> titled "Gene Autry Sings", it is titled "Ballads of the West".
>
> My copy had three Conqueror records and one purple label OKeh the
> dealer
> put in to fill the album and because he thought that the OKeh was even
> earlier (it's not, of course). There's no guarantee that the Conqueror
> discs came with the album, but if these are found in other copies, it
> might be an indication.
>
> Conqueror
> 8629  Mexicali Rose  C-1194-1
>             Nobody's Darling But Mine  DAL-125-1
> 8968  There's A Gold Mine In the Sky LA-1530-B
>              Sail Along, Silv'ry Moon LA-1531-B
> 9388A El Rancho Grande LA-2176-A
> 9388B The Singing Hills LA-2174-A
> OKeh  (purple)  (not a part of the original album)
> 6728 Don't Fence Me In  H-1143-1
>            Gonna Build A Big Fence Around Texas  H-1145-1

It's interesting to hear from other posts that the first two
Conqueror numbers (8629, 8968) also appear in their copies. Checking
the Abrams file for Conqueror, I see 9386/9 is a block of Gene Autry
numbers, and would logically think those numbers would comprise the
album. Apparently not...?

Take care,

Joe
--