[78-L] London -- Made in England?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Aug 18 17:03:31 PDT 2011

On 8/18/2011 6:02 PM, agp wrote:
> How does one go about telling the country of sale for a London
> 78  circa late 40s and early 50s. Most London's I have say 'Made in
> England' which makes me say -- oh really! They carted 78s across the
> pond to sell in the USA and Canada?

Yes,of course they did, Classical 78s and all LPs were shipped without
outer albums which were made in the U.S.  British pressings are easy to
spot besides the statement on the label.  The matrix numbers are large,
squared print, and lightly stamped.  U'S' pressings are usually RCA
Victor or American Decca pressings and are likewise easy to spot with
the same types of matrix numbering as their domestic recordings.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com