[78-L] Schwann Catalog(ue)s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Aug 16 10:40:05 PDT 2011

The librarians over on the ARSC-List would more likely give you the
answers according to catalog rules, I can tell you that even with the
variations you list below, you have just scratched the surface of the
different publication names they used.  In some cases they are in a
continuity where the new name just superseedes the old, but then they
started having many parallel simultaneous publications, of which you
only include a few, like Opus.  At the very end around 2001 they had
parallel to Opus: Spectrum, Artist Issue, and Popular, and they also had
a monthly magazine in the 1990s.  But what will be most disturbing to
you is that the publication  was originally simply titled "Long Playing
Record Catalog" and that the only place the name Schwann shows up is as
the publisher and copyright name, W. Schwann.  I don't have handy the
manuscript of my history of Schwann which I presented at ARSC in Austin,
Texas in 2005 where I noted exactly when the name change happened, but
from the catalogs I have here, the change came between the April 1952
and May 1953 issues.  It was about that time when "The Long Player"
catalog came out in competition.  (I have a nearly complete set of these
and "Jazz and Pops" in bound volumes.  I have at least one per year of
Schwann till 1958 when I am about 75% complete, although I have a lot of
holes in my Schwann Supplementary/Schwann 2 holdings.)

As a user I feel that it is absolutely necessary that the catalog show
the EXACT title that is on the publication because they ARE different
once you get into the parallel publications.  Although once they get
into the supplementary split it is necessary to use these in conjunction
with the main issue, I shelve them separately, partially because they
have different time periods -- the main is monthly and the supplementary
is quarterly or semi-annually (although it should have been the
opposite!!!)  This would match your listing below.  BUT it can't be done
alphabetically, it needs to be done chronologically.  There are
difficulties such as where to put the split-offs and the several times
they re-joined or unified them back together again. And then there are
the tiny occasionals such as the Childrens and Country and Western
catalogs!

SO, I think you are going about it correctly thus far.  I would have an
umbrella heading in the listing of "Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog"
and the note [Published under various titles.]  Some libraries try to
note the full publishing periods for each name and then show "Library
has:"  This might help if you get this info once you are further along.
R&H might have the most complete collection and is where I got some of
the name changes in the gaps of my holdings.  I have some of the changes
in my narrative, and now I see that I really need to go back to it and
rewrite it as a Journal article.  (Oy vey, another project!  Just what I
needed!)

Hope this helps.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbieol.com