[78-L] Schwann Catalog(ue)s

D P Ingram darren at ingram.fi
Tue Aug 16 07:33:19 PDT 2011

Hi.

We are needing to index a few Schwann catalogues and whilst it is no problem entering the data, I am wondering about the "index" data.

I.e. we have a "title" title (examples given below) which is more unique based on the actual title, year etc, but have a separate "index" title that would be used to allow an automated link be generated so that similar "in the series" can be viewed, just as you would do for say ARSC journal, so it might be ARSC JOURNAL - YYYYMMDD and thus one can automate the search by the date.

But Schwann titles seem to vary, also by title, which is understandable.

The question is, as a user, would "lumping" all the Schwann's together be a "problem" from a user experience perspective, or are there clear "lines" i.e. the classical opus might be different to the record/cds one. Ideally we want to keep it sweet and simple, but....

Here is a quick extract of a few of the Schwann's indexed to date:

Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog - Vol. 6 No. 10 - October 1954
Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog - Vol. 6 No. 12 - December 1954
Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog - Vol. ? No. 11 - November 1968
Schwann Record & Tape Guide - No. 10 - October 1971
Schwann Records Tapes - No. 4 - April 1975
Schwann - 1 Record & Tape Guide - Vol. 29 No. 11 - November 1977
Schwann - 1 Record & Tape Guide - Vol. 30 No. 10 - October 1978
Schwann Records Tapes - No. 7 - July 1980
The New Schwann February 1986 150 New Compact Disks. No 2
Schwann - Vol. 41 No. 4 - Fall 1989
Schwann Cd - Vol. 4 No. 1 - January 1989
Schwann Cd - Vol. 4 No. 5 - May 1989
Schwann Cd - Vol. 4 No. 7 - July 1998
Schwann Opus - Vol. 1 No. 1 - Spring 1990
Schwann Opus - Vol. 4 No. 1 - Winter 1992/1993
Schwann Opus - Vol. 4 No. 4 - Fall 1993
Schwann Opus - Vol. 5 No. 2 - Spring 1994
Schwann Opus - Vol. 5 No. 4 - Fall 1994
Schwann Opus - Vol. 6 No. 1 - Winter 1994/95

So it seems that there are several "series" but is it "acceptable" to lump them together ? If not, how does the common view suggest we could "part organise" them?

I am guessing "Schwann Artist Issue - 14th Ed." would be something different too.

Any insight from the North American list members in particular welcome.

Thanks, Darren

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦
¦ darren at ingram.fi ¦  www.ingram.fi ¦
¦