[78-L] Mignon Record

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Mon Aug 15 18:57:29 PDT 2011

Mignon was a German label, part of the Lindstrom company in Berlin and
relying on recordings made by the Beka studios (Beka was one of
Lindstrom's main labels at the time, others being Odeon, Fonotipia and
Parlophon).
The Mignon records were 15 cm (6''), dark green with yellow writing.
Known issues between years1912-1921; Beka's later recordings for Mignon
were issued on Ekophon (also 15 cm discs, but dark blue in colour).
Here's an interesting link: Finnish discographer Pekka Gronow is working
on a book about the Lindstrom company; this is  kind of a preview:
http://www.phonomuseum.at/includes/content/lindstroem/gronow_lindstroemag.pdf
And there's a publication out listing information from 30 different
Lindstrom label recording ledgers:
http://www.phonomuseum.at/2011/06/aufnahmebuecher-recording-ledgers-carl-lindstroem-a-g-auf-cd-r/
78-L member Rainer Lotz has been part of that project and could tell us
more about it.

The fact that Lindstrom acquired Odeon, Beka and other labels around
1910 probably meant they got access to earlier recordings as well, some
of which could have been used for the Mignon label. Mignon issued
Scandinavian recordings for the Scandinavian market, for instance, and
probably British material for the British isles. So "Mr Thomas Cat"
could certainly predate 1912.
Kristjan