[78-L] Rust's Entertainment Discography

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 00:08:03 PDT 2011

On 15/08/11 02:11, Steve Williams wrote:
> So what did Cole Porter et. al. DO in the entertainment discography, sing?
> It doesn't seem to me that composers belonged in this book anyway.
>
> There are still omissions in the second edition.  For instance Welcome Lewis
> is not listed.  I had to go to the Victor Master book to learn anything.
>
> Todd Rollins is a band, not a personality.  Isn't he in Rust's American
> Dance Band or Shirley and Johnson? (I don't have those.)
>
> .  Steve Williams  ..

I used Rollins as an example of Rust's strange attitude of what to
include in his discographies. Yes, they are listed in the other two
works you mention. In his early efforts at jazz discography, he excluded
The Spirits of Rhythm, but included The Light Crust Doughboys!.

Welcome Lewis is listed in Ross Laird's "Moanin' Low" (A Discography of
Female Popular Vocal Recordings, 1920-1933).

      Julian Vein