[78-L] Rust's Entertainment Discography

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 14 12:27:30 PDT 2011

The deficiencies of the 2nd edition of the CED were being discussed with
dismay the week the book was published, and caused me to not get it for
20years until I realized that if I acted FAST I could get a a copy for
less than I had expected.  (I also was able to find an inexpensive copy
of the first edition for Leah, and some are still out there -- one
especially cheap if you act FAST.)

Although Rich Markow might be able to shed more light on this subject
because he was a closer friend of Alllen Debus and discussed this with
him, I understand that Allen was given very little say in the revision
process.  First of all, in addition to the people missing, notice that
also missing from the 2nd edition that were in the first are all the
Victor prefixes and the Columbia W prefix is also missing.  You all know
that I have been very vocal in condemning this practice for decades.  I
have heard that Rush had gotten word out that his reasons were that they
did not denote LOCATION of the recording and that the respective
companies never included them on the labels in the instances where they
included matrix numbers.  The latter is a LIE because I have many
instances of Victor Personal pressings and broadcast transcriptions
where the prefixes are printed on the labels, plus BRITISH Columbia
included W on the labels for both U.S. and British recordings -- how the
hell could he have missed THAT???  As for location, doesn't something
like BVE just SCREAM United States?  And I suppose that size of unissued
or rejected recordings doesn't matter.  It DOES.  And I have shown some
important instances of where the specific recording system had crucial
significance.

Now to Cary's initial remarks of the missing people, SOME are discussed
in the preface, as were some in the preface to the first edition, but
there is no explanation of those who were cut this time but not the
first.  Rust seems to have a thing against composers if they mainly
record their own songs, but I guess Sam Coslow is allowed because a few
records were of other song writers' songs.  Itseems obvious that Rust
did not know as much about American entertainers as he did British.
Where js Monroe Silver?  He appeared in films and radio in addition to
recording.  We all could name some deserving American performers with
all of the credentials of many others who were included.  But there are
dozens of British entertainers who did not make a single recording
issued by an American label but are included because among all of the
listed British appearances they might have made a few appearances in an
American theater -- and probably not all that successful at that.  In
just the D's:  Danielle Darrieux?  Gaby Deslys?  Dorothy Dickson?  Alice
Delysia?  If they were successful in an American appearance why didn't
any company here release anything of them?  Even Florence Desmond for
all her fame did not appear to have an American release.

We need to make a list of every performer missing and added to the
second edition. Has anyone ever done it?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com