[78-L] Art Karle (Newton)

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 16:48:00 PDT 2011

Hi Julian
    I have noticed that there are other times when Newton sears that way in the middle 1930's (the March 1937 session on Variety - check "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone")- there seems to be some similarities between these two of my all time favourite trumpeters. Certainly there are tempo and song choices that are similar - the same way that early middle 1940's Commodore dates can on occasion sound similar in approach even with rather different personnels. I have no problems identifying Newton here - except that he is playing closer to the melody when playing the lead more so than usual. Think about this Julian, he may have been playing it safe on his first session as a leading horn (his only previous sessions were w Cecil Scott, Bessie Smith, Sam Wooding -unissued to date - Buck and Bubbles and Clarence Williams - none of which he was the lead trumpet in a small"jam" band playing current pop titles) - what do you think?? Was it indeed the song
 pluggers wanting the melody to be clear in both this session and the numerous ones involving the 1936 Berigan ? Newton's originality come out on the fourth title "Lights Out" in the muted solo ...
nice chatting about Newton
Yves François