[78-L] London riots impact on music business

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 10 09:01:38 PDT 2011

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/09/london-riot-independent-label_n_922009.html#s325530

Apparently the entire stock of several independent labels was destroyed.

London Riots: Independent Record Labels 'Devastated' By Fire

A Sony DADC building in north London has apparently been burned down as a
result of the riots. The warehouse contains the stock for more than 150 record
labels.

The building was the main headquarters for PIAS, the UK's largest distributor
of indie music. PIAS wrote the following statement:

     There was a fire last night at the SonyDADC warehouse which services the
physical distribution for PIAS in the UK and Ireland. PIAS is working closely
with SonyDADC who are implementing their emergency plans. PIAS's UK offices in
London and all other areas of our business are unaffected. More information
will be communicated shortly to all our labels and partners.

Reactions from those in the indie music sector has been swift, and shocked.

Norman Records, who say PIAS is their largest supplier, reported the news on
their Facebook.

"Dreadful news from the rioting in London last night," they wrote. "Many of the
labels like 4AD, Domino, Warp, Rock Action, Matador etc will probably have had
their UK stock destroyed. Obviously this will have a massive effect on the
music industry (and us). Our thoughts go out to all of those who've lost their
jobs and livelihoods from this. Only time will tell what the knock on effect
will be..."

Musicians Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand and James McMorrow tweeted about the
fire.

"Thoughts go out to all the labels who have lost their stock in Pias fire,"
Kapranos wrote.

"Sony DADC burnt to the ground last night, PIAS holds it's record stock there,
absolutely devastating potentially to so many indie labels," McMorrow tweeted.

The riots, which began on Aug. 6 in Tottenham, have seen multiple people
injured, windows smashed, and buildings burned. Prime Minister David Cameron
has said that 16,000 officers will be on the streets on Tuesday night in an
effort to deal with the violence.