[78-L] Questions

BlueRidgeAnnie at aol.com BlueRidgeAnnie at aol.com
Tue Aug 9 08:54:18 PDT 2011

Hi, Julian,

Well, as you can see, I know nothing about this stuff.

Yes, they are probably 78's, though, because they seemed to be about the
size of my more recent albums, I call them LP's.  They may only be 10
inches, but I'll check.

I'll have to get into the storage box and get the information you
requested, but I will.  I appreciate your time and help.  I've  procrastinated for a
long time, but they need to better home.

Thank and I'll get back to you,
Anne

In a message dated 8/9/2011 4:37:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk writes:

On  09/08/11 01:07, BlueRidgeAnnie at aol.com wrote:
>  Hi,
>

> I found your site, when I was researching old red  vinyl records.  I
didn't
> know if this would be a forum for  someone with records to sell, or  if it
> is only for people who  want to discuss their collections.
>
> I have a great many old  records which belonged to mother's brother.  My
> uncle, who I  never met, loved to listen to his records, according to my
>  grandmother.  He died in 1950 or 1951 in his early 20's coming home  for
> Christmas, and she kept them for almost 50 years.  I  found  them after
my grandmother
> passed away in  1998.
>

> All of the records are LP's from the 1940's,  before his  death.  I have
> several sets and some individual  records.  I have  Sinatra and others.
Many
> are the red  vinyl.  Most are in very good  condition, in their original
boxes
> and sleeves.
>
> I don't know much about these  records but know neither I nor my children
> would ever appreciate them  as much as a collector would.  I don't want to
> sell them to just  anyone, but I need to sell them, if only to preserve
them.
> I  have them in conditioned storage now, but they deserve   better.
>
> Thank you for anything you have to offer,
> Anne  Smith

Hello Anne. You describe  them as "LP's", but if they were from the
1940's then the're are unlikely  to be many in that format. Do you mean
78s? Are they in artwork sleeves or  paper ones? What speed is designated
on the label. If they are 78s I'm  surprised that many would be made of
red vinyl. Could you let us have a  few artists' names, titles and
labels, catalogue numbers etc? Also, are  they 10" or 12" inch?

Julian  Vein
78-L mailing  list
78-L at klickitat.78online.com