[78-L] Boswell Sisters - complete commercial recordings & DVD

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 06:46:23 PDT 2011

On 05/08/11 13:42, Han Enderman wrote:
> Boswell Sisters v.1 (1931-1932) was released in 1993/94 on Swedish Collector's Classics COCD-21.
> Produced by Carl Hällström and remastered by JRTD.
> It was reissued and continued in 2000&  2001 on Nostalgia Arts NOCD series.
> My copy of v.3 (2000) still mentions Hällström, but v.4 doesn't. Possibly then it had been taken over
> by Danish Storyville (Knudsen), which has an excellent reputation (also in connection with books
> on jazz). COCD also produced important sets like Henry Allen (1930s), Washboard Rhythm Kings
> &  Junie Cobb [THAT was a wonderful issue].
> I'm not sure about the relation with JSP. Mills Brothers set was (partly?) on NOCD, then on JSP.
> Mosaic is doing great reissue sets, but the European labels were earlier, and are still producing
> issues for collectors of rare material (Frog; Timeless).
>
> han enderman

Perhaps Mosaic should stick to reissuing 78 material that has been done
before but badly or where substantial new material has come to light and
where they have access to original parts.

I understand that JRTD was an unofficial co-ordinator between various
reissue labels, ensuring there was a minimum of overlap
      Julian Vein