[78-L] Boswell Sisters - complete commercial recordings & DVD

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Aug 5 05:42:52 PDT 2011

Boswell Sisters v.1 (1931-1932) was released in 1993/94 on Swedish Collector's Classics COCD-21.
Produced by Carl Hällström and remastered by JRTD.
It was reissued and continued in 2000 & 2001 on Nostalgia Arts NOCD series.
My copy of v.3 (2000) still mentions Hällström, but v.4 doesn't. Possibly then it had been taken over
by Danish Storyville (Knudsen), which has an excellent reputation (also in connection with books
on jazz). COCD also produced important sets like Henry Allen (1930s), Washboard Rhythm Kings
& Junie Cobb [THAT was a wonderful issue].
I'm not sure about the relation with JSP. Mills Brothers set was (partly?) on NOCD, then on JSP.
Mosaic is doing great reissue sets, but the European labels were earlier, and are still producing
issues for collectors of rare material (Frog; Timeless).

han enderman
===
>>> On 05/08/11 02:10, Thomas Stern wrote:
>    I am distressed by further information I've received.
> On some Jazz lists, there were indications MOSAIC was going to issue
> a 7 or 8 CD set.  Due to the Storyville release, this has been cancelled.
>    Based on past experience with MOSAIC productions, this is a terrible loss
> for those of us who love the Boswell Sisters recordings, and would love to
> have quality transfers and the superior documentation that would have
> accompanied the set.
>    Bad DOES drive out good!
>    Thomas.

Mosaic must have been planning this set some years ago because the
Nostalgia Arts set came out in 2001 (with transfers by John R.T.Davies).
There were two other CDs, of broadcasts, on Retrieval (1997) (again
JRTD) and Jass Records (1992) (Jack Towers and JRTD).

      Julian Vein
<<<