[78-L] Beer coasters

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Wed Aug 3 14:01:18 PDT 2011

Some early Pearls developed problems, as I recall. As for home made beer
coasters, I was happily using Sony 48x blanks in my HHB BurnIt until I hit a
batch that displayed "error" every time. Sony replaced them and the new ones
were no better, so I relegated the remaining ones to be used for high speed
duping and that was the end for Sony. Even 52x TDKs that I can buy for $15 a
spindle in Buffalo have proved to be 100% reliable.

dl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every time I go to the US I stock up on Sony 48x CDRs.  First of all they are
quite cheap, (by Canadian standards), costing $24.95 per 100 at Target.  If you
can find them in Canada, they are closer to $80.  The important thing about the
Sony CDRs is that their range is 1-48x.  Most hi speed CDRs, such as the TDK are
not reliable at real time.  We were using the TDK 52x at CBC and there were more
failures than usable ones.  I use the Sonys for both hi speed dubbing and real
time recording and very rarely have a problem disc.  At the moment, I'm
recording using an HHB CDR-882 dual drive recorder.  This recorder doesn't
actually record at real time, it throws the data on the disc in bursts at about
16x playing speed.

I once had a producer ask me if we could use a 52x recorder at live concerts -
at least he started to ask, half way through the question he realized it was the
one exception to the saying, "There's no such thing as a stupid question!"

db