[78-L] ^Hays Office query off topic

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Aug 2 15:51:09 PDT 2011

On 8/2/2011 6:37 PM, Julian Vein wrote:
> Just watched "Crime Wave" (aka "The City Is Dark"), 1954. It showed Gene
> Nelson and Phyllis Kirk sharing the same bed. I understood this to be a
> no-no under the Hays Code, unless the couple were actually married to
> each other in real life, which these two weren't. I note that Hays died
> in 1954, so was this the start of "The Hollywood Spring"?
>
>        Julian Vein

Hays retired in 1945, so when he died is moot.  However, he was
succeeded by Eric Johnston who himself died in 1963, leaving the office
vacant until Jack Valenti took over in May 1966.  But I am not sure that
the bed rule had not been relaxed by then anyway.  It was no longer the
1930s.  The rule was still in force on TV but even by then it probably
was becoming looser.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com