[78-L] Does this episode of Hoarders apply to you?

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Tue Aug 2 08:52:16 PDT 2011

On 02/08/2011, Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:

> I began taping sometime in the early 80's myself. Didn't keep
> everything but did wind up with a lot of movies from TCM, AMC (before
> they started running commercials) and a few other cable channels. Some
> of my old VHS tapes are classical music broadcasts from PBS & others
> are copies of classical VHS tapes I borrowed from the library. I
> remember having to buy those 3 hour BASF tapes for the 4th Of July
> show that A&E used to run every year. Thankfully the local Pops Goes
> The 4th that local Ch 26 ran for awhile only needed a 2 hour tape.
> Haven't watched any of those in years but I'll still keep them. I did
> play a PBS classical recording that had Beethoven's 7th symphony on it
> a few days ago though. It was good. Tried taping at LP speed a few
> times. It didn't look as good as SP and EP speed looked even worse so
> all the recordings I kept were done at SP.

The problem with old video is that the quality is really bad, in a nasty
kind of way.

78rpm discs, at least since 1925, have quite good quality sound apart
from the noise levels, and are much more worth keeping.

I doubt if anyone has yet extracted the full quality of the 78rpm recordings,
so it is worth saving original discs for future transfer technology.

A VHS copy of a film that you can now buy on Blu-Ray, or a cassette copy
of an LP that is available on a good CD, is just rubbish.

A VHS copy of a live TV show that was not recorded by the company, or a
cassette of a broadcast, could be quite valuable.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net