[78-L] A couple Victor oddities

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Jul 30 10:58:14 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Bryan Wright wrote:

> Incidentally, what was the point of the "Double Feature" series
> that set it apart from the
> regular 20-0000 series of the mid-late '40s?

The original intent was to highlight two artists ("double-feature,"
get it?) -- for instance, the well-known 45-0002 "The Minor Goes
Muggin'" by Duke Ellington with Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra,
backed with "Tonight I Shall Sleep" by TD with Duke Ellington and his
Famous Orchestra. The series sorta morphed into an original-cast
album collection. A very few of the P-xxx popular album series
("Musical Smart Sets") contained 45-0xxx discs rather than 20-xxxx.
(For that matter, a very very few of the pop albums contained 21-0xxx
*country-western* discs.)

Take care,

Joe
--
"No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount
of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch."--