[78-L] A couple Victor oddities

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Sat Jul 30 07:55:21 PDT 2011

My thanks to J.E. Knox and David Lennick for the responses to my
Victor matrix question. I've saved the note for future reference.

To follow-up: the little 6-inch WBOW disc doesn't have a take number
appended to the matrix number -- either on the label or in the runout
wax. It's just "E1-KB-459." (The reverse side is E1-KB-460.) Also, for
what it's worth, the disc is pressed on an extremely thin vinyl. It's
not quite as flexible as an Eva-Tone Soundsheet, but it's much thinner
than other standard vinyl records. Also, I've posted a label scan of
the record here:

http://www.claxtonola.com/wbow.jpg

Thanks also for the details on the children's series RCA vinyls. I
guess I was most surprised by the raised edges. I had never
encountered an RCA 78 with raised edges before, making me think these
might be unusually late. Thanks also for clearing up the 45- prefix. I
should have figured that since I do have a handful of 45- prefix
"Double Feature" records from the mid-'40s. Incidentally, what was the
point of the "Double Feature" series that set it apart from the
regular 20-0000 series of the mid-late '40s?

Thanks again,
Bryan W.