[78-L] Interesting late MGM 78

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Jul 29 14:46:48 PDT 2011

I have images of the multicolor label type for:
MGM(Ar) MG-8018-B Connie Francis: My Heart has a mind... (mx 60-XY-125 on label);
MGM(Bz) MGM-9002-B CF: Lipstick...

Only the Brazil labels have the Musidisc logo.
Does the 60 prefix indicate this was also a 1960 issue?
What was the release date for Brazilian 9001/02 titles in the US?

Other Argentine (yellow) MGM labels are in ranges 8510-8579, 8851-10027.
Surprisingly there is an earlier yellow Brazilian 9000 series (images in range
9004-9094), with Eckstine and Astaire.
MGM(Brazil) MGM-9022 is by Danielle Darrieux, but:
MGM(Canada) 9022 (no prefix) is by The Impalas.
I have seen no other issues in this Canadian 9000 series.
The Canadian 10000 series has same nrs as the US series; last available
MGM(C) label is 12826 (Conway Twitty: Danny Boy). Last available US label
(also known as Canadian release) is also a high nr: 12651 Purple People Eater.

And thinking about Canadian 78s, where is Steven C?

han enderman
===
>>> I'm not sure when MGM stopped 78s in the USA and Canada, but they
lived on in Brazil, as the links below show.

This is from early 1960 there -- and is the only instance of a full
colour MGM 78 label I've ever seen. Sure, its Connie Francis -- but
the label makes up for it

http://www.cool78s.com/MGM-9_001-A.jpg
http://www.cool78s.com/MGM-9_001-B.jpg

<<<