[78-L] Guy Lombardo

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jul 26 17:35:57 PDT 2011

On 7/26/2011 8:06 PM, J. E. Knox wrote:
> Greetings from FixitLand!
>
> David Burnham wrote:
>
>> I just found a recording by Guy Lombardo on the "Melotone" label,
>> no M13176, with "Villia" on side A and "You or No One" on side B.
>> I've never seen Lombardo records that aren't on Victor, Columbia,
>> Decca or Capitol.  Is this a remastering from one of those labels
>> or was there a Melotone period in Lombardo's career?

This was ARC's retaliation for Jack Kapp jumping ship and starting 35
cent Decca and taking some of their names with him such as Lombardo and
Bing.  They put out a whole bunch of these traitors' old records on
Melotone and reduced the price to a quarter.  Also some on Romeo,
Oriole, Banner, Perfect, and Vocalion.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com