[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 34, Issue 35

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 06:39:27 PDT 2011

Nigel wrote:

According to William Brown's Columbia book this set was actually recorded
over TWO days
August 20 & 21 1947 (late evening to very early morning??) and first issued
on November 10 1947
as 78rpm set C.153

Very well, I admit defeat, though I would've liked it to have been Buddy.

Any word as to when the 78 album sets to C-150 "Campus Favorites" by Kay Kyser and C-160 "Happy Anniversary" by Ray Noble were released? If both of those appeared as 78 sets before the tombstone issues than that would disqualify the whole initial program of pop releases, with the caveat that at least CL-6004 was at least partly new to consumers.

Also I wonder which of the classical releases was new at the initial launch, if any, though you figure as there were 70 of them at least
one would have made its first bow as an LP.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com