[78-L] This Record is Not to be Broadcast

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 24 12:11:34 PDT 2011

I just took delivery of a 3 cd set called 'This Record is Not to be
Broadcast'. It is a collection of 75 records banned by the BBC. Its
on the Fantastic Voyage label (FVTD018). While not comprehensive, for
example it is missing When I'm Cleaning Windows by George Formby. And
no doubt due to rights restrictions, it only cover through 1957 (from
1931 forward). I note there is a volume 2 available.

The quality varies greatly from track to track, with Josh White's
House of the Rising Sun sound horrible as does Cab Calloway's Minnie
the Moocher, but Norman Long's We Can't Let You Broadcast That sounds
quite good.

I'm am puzzled by the logic behind the banning of the tracks -- Light
a Candle in the Chapel by Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey was banned,
according to the notes, for being, as the head of Head of Religious
Broadcasting claimed, 'so nauseatingly sentimental that it debases
the Christian religion'.

Volume 1 is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Record-Broadcast-Records-Banned-1931-57/

Volume 2 is here:

http://www.amazon.com/This-Record-Not-Broadcast-V-2/dp/B002YDBINE/ref=pd_rhf_p_img_3

I found the collection fascinating. Don't know if anyone else has
come across it, so I wonder what anyone else  thought of it