[78-L] Greatest addicts

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jul 23 13:40:55 PDT 2011

On 7/23/2011 3:47 PM, Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> Exactly : his praise is  that his records are avidly hunted for and
> cherished 80 years after his death (not to mention the tremendous influence
> on jazz playing in general) . I don't think Amy will be listened to too much
> 100 years from now....
>
> Erwin

Bix was practically unknown by the public when he was alive.  That is
why the hot jazz records of the 20s were so rare even in the 30s!  Look
at what records were pirated in the 30s and 40s -- those were the ones
that collectors were not able to find because they had not sold so much
in the first place.

 > They were cherished DURING Bix's lifetime also, especially by
musicians. Cary Ginell

Huh?  They never were big sellers during his lifetime -- except for the
Whiteman records which sold big before Bix joined and still did after he
left.  We notice him now -- but not many in the general public did then.

His music is still a minority genre, and certainly will not grow in the
future.  And how much is his influence on current jazz musicians??

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com